All About Prince - Almost A Year Of Purple Mourning

It's almost a year since Prince died and whilst millions of fans plan to unite on April 21st to remember him, some are left in the cold... It doesn't mean their love or grief is any less.


As the first anniversary of Prince's transition fast approaches, fans and fams worldwide have plans in order to celebrate his life, honour his legacy and console/comfort their fellow Purple family in the pain that fateful day, April 21st brought to us... I don't have any "official" plans of marking the date. I would love to go to Paisley Park, just to feel closer to his spirit, experience that symbolic magic that he left behind but I don't have the funds and even if I did, my fear of flying would threaten or darken the experience... So, as he sang "Paisley Park is in your heart...", that's the closest I'll ever get to it.

Prince during the 3121 era

The last ten months, for me, has been one long thunderstorm hailing bags of shit with occasional sunny intervals and the odd breakout of a Purple Rainbow here and there. Besides sharing my Prince love online Purple Memories – After The Rain my one little piece of comfort has been being able to say "This time last year, Prince was doing ..., he appeared on …, he posted … online, etc". He was here, alive! Once April 21st comes around, there's no more last years, it'll be an anniversary of Purple Mourning and I'm tired of mourning. Yes, I'm starting to funk out more whilst listening to the music and watching videos, but the void of him not physically being here still hits hard and raw each and every day.

Besides the Purple Family online and a very supportive, understanding and patient daughter, there's no-one in my life, I can talk to or grieve with about Prince. And grief is a very lonely and dark experience. I'm still struggling to come to terms with the deaths of friends and family members, so dealing with the loss of Prince, whom I didn't personally know, is a whole different emotional rollercoaster that I will carry forever because he was and still is such a huge influence on my life.



Like I do on special anniversaries with all my loved ones that have passed, I will light a candle for Prince on April 21st. I will watch the Purple Family online from my computer screen and weep at the beautiful tributes, wishing I could be a part of them but do I have to officially make a point that I am grieving on the anniversary of his death? No, because it's always with me and as hard as it is, Prince taught me as a young teenager, how to grieve alone and that is what I'll do.

~ DAMWordz

Comments