Facing 8 Months And A Lonely Christmas Without Prince

Although as a Jehovah Witness, Prince didn't celebrate Christmas, eight months since his death and the first one without him, my Christmas will be painfully lonely without him.




In the 8 months that have passed since Prince died, like all the Purple Family across the world, I still haven't come to terms with him not being here any more. 2016 has honestly been one of the worst years of my life (and I've gone through many notable dark years). To lay all my stresses on Prince leaving us would be unfair... A few other special people in my life also passed away this year, I've been betrayed by people I thought would never let me down, had to battle the neighbour from hell and other dramas that I won't go into because this is ALL ABOUT PRINCE!

For me, as well as the pleasure of enjoying his music, drooling over pictures and videos, funking out at his concerts, Prince has always been the crutch in my moments of fear and troubles. Through his music I saw light in the darkness and found hope when the odds were facing me... 8 months gone and I think I've been through every single emotion possible, in no particular stage. Although I've learned to hold my tongue and stay away from the computer keyboard when people trash talk Prince, I'm still wounded he died alone and cautious of some members of his inner-circle and so-called buddies. I have days when I drown in his music, singing, dancing or crying (or all three at once) and days when I just can't bear to listen to a note. Some days I watch his videos and reminisce how much joy they brought me, I get so caught up in my feelings that sometimes, just for a few minutes, I forget he's gone. Then that reality kicks you right in the heart and it hurts so bad.



I would say that I'm in a fleeting stage of acceptance. Some days my heart accepts he's gone but my head don't and vice-versa. I'll see a picture tribute to celebrities that have passed this year and wince when I see him among them or curse if he's not. I brought many tribute magazines after April 21st but I can't look through one. Besides the Purple Family online, there's no-one in my life that I can talk to about how I'm feeling and this grief is a lonely place to be.

Last year in the run-up to Christmas I was borrowing money from my Prince kitty to get last minute presents. The UK leg of the Piano & Microphone tour had been cancelled and I was just praying that I'd be able to put the money back before they were rescheduled. Never, ever did I contemplate it would never happen, that Prince would be gone. Prince was alive, wowing audiences, interacting on social media, teasing and pleasing us with his mysterious quips and drips of what was going to come in the future. That's why I still feel that even if he knew his time was up, he wasn't ready to go.


IMAGES IN THIS ARTICLE ARE NOT OWNED BY ALL ABOUT PRINCE

Losing the best friend I never met doesn't make me feel like celebrating this Christmas. However, I don't want to become so warped in grief that I stop enjoying his music, the special songs that are key moments of my life. And as these months go by, the bigger the void of Prince not being here gets. I send love and blessings to all the Purple Family this Christmas and pray you have people around you that can keep you out of gloom during the festive season. For those feeling that Purple loneliness, talk to him. Not with your voice but through your mind... I believe he's up there watching us all, feeling the love and if you're love is true and purple (Unlike some fake fans who were openly attacking Prince and his music on social media before April 21st , yet claim devotion afterwards, but that's another article for another time), then he'll always be in our hearts and maybe one day he'll speak back to us.

Love, Peace and Purpleness


DAMW   

Comments