Who Is The 3rd Ear Girl?

Musician Prince has showcased his new band, 3rd Eye Girl but who is the 3rd Ear Girl and what is her connection to Prince...Read the All About Prince blog to learn more.

The One and Only...Prince

Way back in the good old 80's when I was listening to Prince's Sign Of The Times album on my personal stereo. A catapult of vivid fantasies about love, life, religion and sex engulfed my prepubescent mind. I still love that album now, as much as I did back then, but its the beautiful ballad 'Adore' that holds an unbreakable fixation over me. Back then, I would never sing along to the lyric...

"If God one day struck me blind, your beauty I'd still see"

The thought of being blind totally freaked me out, played on my emotions, despite the beautiful way Prince sang, so I'd change it to...

"If God one day struck me deaf, your music I'd still hear"

Hence, my early songwriting skills (cough cough), I just felt a lot more comfortable singing that and as I'd never experienced "real love", my only connection to the theme was the love I felt for Prince, and his music. Fast forward ten years, I was diagnosed with hearing loss, which has deteriorated progressively since. Ironic isn't it, that the lyric I made up would come and haunt me later in life. Damaging my hearing more with headphones has enabled me to continue enjoying Prince's music, however, now I struggle more with the lyrics although I hear the instruments pretty clearly. It hurts, God knows it hurts. To not be able to freely enjoy Prince's music as I did back in the day has affected my life big time.

Prince with 3rd Eye Girl
The 3rd Ear came to me after listening to "3rd Eye" from 'The Truth' (Crystal Ball box set album 4). In my Purple mantra, my 3rd Ear will always hear Prince's music, despite the impairment I have in my normal ears. So now Prince has introduced his brilliant new girl band 3rd Eye Girl (who are seriously fab and rocking by the way), I'm going to officially refer to myself as the 3rd Ear Girl.


Nothing and no-one will ever get in the way or destroy my connection with Prince.

Comments