All About Prince Purple Stories - Jack U Off

How my slight edit to the chorus of Prince’s song, “Jack U Off!” left me blushing.




Music has always been a huge part of my life, with Prince being the most played on the Playlist (obviously!).  My kids have grown up watching me singing, gyrating and funking out, because, as any Prince fan/fam will tell you, you can’t just sit down and tap your foot to a Prince jam.  Anyhoo, when my eldest child was a nipper (around 3 or 4) and I was screeching Prince lyrics into her brain (you’ve gotta teach em young), I would always alter or omit the raunchier lyrics.  “Jack U Off” became “My Jaguar” as she took a liking to it and would sing along to the chorus. 

A few months ago, whilst interacting in one of the online Prince groups, I relayed that story as the topic was about Prince lyrics.  Minutes later, I received a private message from a guy within the group saying “So is that what you call it?” (I don’t need to explain what “it” is!).  I was sooo embarrassed because despite my ‘dirty mind’, the “jaguar” reference had been an on-the-spot innocent decision, nothing at all to do with giving my noonie a pet name.  It took me ages to reply back to the guy but we both had a giggle at the misinterpretation.  Thankfully my embarrassment was over the web and not face to face.  Listening to “Jack U Off” now has a whole new spin for me.


Comments