Purple Memories - Prince and 3rd Eye Girl LG Arena Birmingham 2014 (with setlist)

Two years ago today, which was 15th May 2014, Prince and 3rd Eye Girl played at Birmingham LG Arena, UK, as the 2nd part of their HitNRun tour. Knowing now that a Prince concert will never take place again makes me feel even more privileged to have been there and the sacrifices I made to purchase a ticket, even more worth it.

Prince on stage at LG Arena Birmingham 15th May 2014
Image Credit: Birmingham Press

When word got out that Prince and his band, 3rd Eye Girl were returning to the UK in May after a stint earlier in the year, I knew that whether I had to beg, steal or borrow, I wasn't missing out on the Purple action again. HitNRun Part 1 had left me in tears and riddled with jealousy so when the Part 2 shows were announced, kicking off in Birmingham City which is more nearer to my home than London, I was buzzing. Clearing out the funds in my bank account when I'm a single mother on a lowly income was what some would consider a selfish act. But hey! You know what? I rarely go out socially, I'm always putting the thoughts of others before myself and even though the cupboards were a little empty for a couple of weeks and the choice of meals were pretty much basic, my child didn't suffer because she got a happier Mommy.

My ticket and tour book
Being hearing impaired with constant tinnitus, balance issues, severe headaches, prone to mild focal seizures and my sciatica playing up, going to Birmingham solo I was both anxious and excited. August 2007 had been the last Prince concert I had been to. My hearing and health had been better back then and I wasn't alone. As soon as Prince and the band hit the stage I was in my Purple element. I was in the seated area with strangers around me sat down and rocking their heads. I was funking out as Prince belted out those familiar hit songs, even plucking an air bass guitar when Prince performed the new rendition of Something In The Water (Does Not Compute). SITW is one of my favourites from the 1999 album and a song I'd always wanted to hear live. When the funkier, ska-ish version made it debut online, I was not impressed at all, but hearing it live and being in the vibe in Birmingham was a blessed beauty. Looking down into the standing area made me just want to jump down there in order to get closer to the stage which Prince had on fire left, right and centre. Watching his energy was just mesmerizing and collectively, the whole band put on a show that made me forget the worry and dramas in my life and be the wild, happy, crazy funked out chick that lives inside me. That's the magic of Prince.

The following day, whilst still on a Purple High reliving every moment I could remember to my daughters, I was also in agony as sciatica got the better of me. Something else was bugging me too. Prince would be back in Birmingham four days later and I wouldn't be able to go to that show which was mental torture for me. I'd been fed good and plenty funk but I wanted more, needed more. Him doing shows in Manchester or London were bearable as they're so far away from me. Birmingham is 10 to 15 minute train ride, the thought of being stuck at home whilst my idol would be so close sunk me into a selfish depression... How did I get through it? I'll tell you in my next post.


Thank you Prince (wherever your spirit roams) and 3rd Eye Girl for May 15th 2014. I doubt anyone in the audience had any complaints but I had a funktastic night to store in my Purple Memories and I also got to meet some friendly fellow fans to share my enjoyment with as we travelled home from the venue. Those cherished moments will never happen again now Prince has left us. Now ain't that a bitch!

Setlist LG Arena May 15th 2014


Funknroll
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
U Got the Look
Musicology
Kiss
Empty Room
Let's Go Crazy
She's Always in My Hair
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
FixUrLifeUp
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
Pretzelbodylogic
What's My Name?
How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
Diamonds and Pearls
The Beautiful Ones
Electric Intercourse (Piano Acoustic)
Controversy
1999
Little Red Corvette
Hits medley set:
When Doves Cry
Sign “☮” the Times
Alphabet St.
Forever in My Life
Hot Thing
Housequake
Nasty Girl (Vanity 6 cover)
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Pop Life
I Would Die 4 U

Encore:
Purple Rain

Encore 2:
Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry cover)  

Comments